Tuesday, April 21, 2009

(blank)

I don't get it. What's the point of having kids? They're just going to break my heart. Staying married? She's just going to get old, get mad, and take me with her. Why bother with telling the truth? Frankly, what reason do I have to get out of bed in the morning? I'd be better off dead. It's all just work anyway.
...

I walked that dog about 4 years ago. It wasn't long but it was a bitch. All teeth--didn't even bother with barking. It just started in with maul. A friend managed to reach in and pull me out. I pray that I never face that cur again. Fortunately for me, my wife seems to think the scars make me more attractive.

So what's the point? What's the point of going through all of that? Why "do" life? Answer: resurrection. I don't think it's heaven or even forgiveness. Those are just the appetizers. Don't get me wrong. They're rich, and you could make a meal out of it. But I wouldn't. Leave room for the main course. The "why?" is answered in resurrection. And I constantly forget it. But this Easter I was reminded again about life--not living as we do it now, but as Jesus promises us it will be lived, and can be begun now.
...
On Thursday, Jesus gave us some clues. He showed us how to make sense of the days that would follow. On Friday, he unlocked the door, letting out the tax man. He let out the executioner, and after the tax man was paid, and the executioner was satisfied, the dark came down. Whether he was doing the work, or resting, or what-it's a mystery what happened on Saturday. Maybe Saturday wasn't about what Jesus was doing, but rather what I was doing. Was I hiding? (shrug). I don't know. But on Sunday he rose up, alive, and hailed as King and Victor. Forgiveness was firmly established as His to offer and to supply. It was now his right and prerogative to remove sin from the record. And having paid the full wholesale price, he sets the retail price at: just ask. Just care.

And he promised something. He promised that we could all taste the same victory. Did I earn that? Did I? Hell says no. Hell, no. And you know something? It's right--about that. I didn't earn it, but Jesus says I can have it anyway. So screw hell. And all that goes with it. The threat still looms but not for me it doesn't. Not only that, but I will taste victory. All I have to do is admit and proclaim that Jesus is the Son of God, and that he lives. And then, when I die, somehow I live. Or at least I fail to lose my life. And I can wait, somehow, for a new life. Ok? I know this isn't news to some of you, maybe it's a message you've had pounded into your head every night by your parents, or every week by the same old people, or maybe just every day when you pass the guy with the sandwich board and picket sign screaming at a traffic signal. But it isn't simply forgiveness that Jesus delivers. Or a get-out-of-hell card. It's life the way it's supposed to be. Not the way it is now.
...
A more real life. A real life. Where work rewards, community with other people is joy-filled, and not sorrow-filled. Communicating with our families, neighbours, friends--no missed connections, no misunderstandings-no hurt feelings. oh GOD, I can't wait for that. How many times have I said something, trying to be cute, trying to be profound-even trying to be sincere, only to be misunderstood.

We will live to bless and be blessed. And THAT was the point. That was the line that my friend through into me. He reminded me that everything I loved about Jesus when I first saw him up close---all of that was the same. And that I couldn't explain it then, I can't explain it now, but somehow I was convinced of it then, as I am convinced of it now. And THAT---that unexplainable thing is true, and real, and worth every bit the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment